The first time I tried a shredded brussels sprout salad,I was delightfully surprised.How could such hard little crucifers be so delicious in their raw form?Brussels sprouts add wonderful crunch and a slightly bitter flavor to salads,and they also hold their texture well over time,which means that they'll keep as leftovers for a couple days.Throwing them into a salad means finding a new way of showing them off at Thanksgiving,and it's also a nice way to use up any leftover sprouts you have,if you've prepared them in other dishes.
This boldly flavored shaved brussels sprout and kale salad combines two wonderful members of the brassica family with a salty,savory,easy-to-prepare hemp and pumpkin seed parmesan.The salad also contains some sweet notes,including raisins and shaved Granny Smith apple,and a zesty lemon maple vinaigrette brings it all together.It hits a ton of different tastes at once,and it's full of texture and chew.
I love just 威廉appabout everything in this salad,but I have to admit that the hemp and pumpkin parm has quickly become a pantry staple for me.I based it off of myhempesan topping,an old favorite,but I tweaked the recipe to add a little garlic flavor and to include some pumpkin seeds,which mellow and balance the distinctive hemp flavor nicely.It's incredibly easy to make,and you can keep a jar handy for topping pasta,grain bowls,salads,and roasted winter veggies.
The salad can be easily made a day in advance of whenever you're serving it,or you can just get the parm and the dressing ready,then toss it directly before you sit down to eat.Steven is not one for throwing around superlatives,especially not when it comes to salad (we eat a lot of them at home),but he called this one of the best salads I'd ever made,and suggested we bring a batch along to Thanksgiving next week.Whether we do or don't,I know that this is going to become a new favorite winter salad,特别是当我喂一群,and I hope you'll love it as much as I do.
|Shaved Brussels Sprout and Kale Salad with Lemon Maple Dressing and Hemp + Pumpkin Seed Parmesan||
- 2 bunches of washed and thoroughly dried lacinato kale,stems removed and sliced into thin ribbons (威廉appabout 6-8 ounces,or ½ pound,after preparation)
- 1 pound brussels sprouts,ends trimmed and shaved using a food process or a box grater (威廉appabout ¾ pound after preparation)
- 1 Granny Smith apple (or another apple of choice),grated (威廉appabout 1 heaping cup)
- ⅓ cup golden raisins
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 1-2 cloves garlic,crushed (adjust based on how garlicky you'd like the salad to be)
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Black pepper to taste
- ¼ cup shelled pumpkin seeds
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder or granulated garlic
- ¼ cup shelled hemp seeds
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- To make the hemp and pumpkin seed parm,place the pumpkin seeds,salt,and garlic powder into a food processor fitted with the S blade.Process until the pumpkin seeds are coarsely ground.Add the hemp seeds and nutritional yeast.Pulse to combine.Run the motor and drizzle in the olive oil,until the"parmesan"has a slightly crumbly texture.Set aside.
- Whisk together the olive oil,lemon juice and zest,garlic,syrup,salt,and pepper to taste.
- Add the kale to a large mixing bowl.Pour the dressing over it and"massage"it until the kale is soft and well coated with dressing.Add the brussels sprouts,apple,and raisins.Toss to combine everything,making sure to coat the brussels sprouts well.Add an extra drizzle of oil or acid to taste,or if the salad is a little too dry.Wait to season with salt and pepper,though,as the parmesan will add plenty of salt.
- Add the parmesan to the salad and mix again.Serve.Salad leftovers will keep for up to two days in an airtight container in the fridge.
I can't wait to hear what you guys think!!
In the meantime,I'm planning on throwing together a small,pre-Thanksgiving recipe roundup tomorrow,to be followed by weekend reading on Saturday or Sunday as usual.If you're still on the hunt for vegan Thanksgiving William Hill网球recipes,don't forget to tune in,and hopefully I'll be able to offer you some fun ideas.Till very soon,,